Saturday, October 31, 2009

Blewits





Fellow workers at the winery found several nice mushrooms and brought them for me to see. I was most impressed by the Blewits, Lepista nuda (=Clitocybe nuda). Their haul also included some beautiful and large Amanita muscaria var. formosa, for which they expressed an unusually strong and suspicious interest.

Anyway, they were happy to give me the Blewits, and I was very happy to accept. Not having a comfortable amount of experience with Blewits, I did the mandatory spore print to distinguish from possibly poisonous Cortinarius. A light pink spore print was confirmation enough for me, and into the frying pan they went. I will use the opportunity to forage for more this weekend. The carpet of falling leaves is growing thick so they may be difficult to find.

No comments: